As I was out tonight, weaving through the rainy streets with Kara in search of delicious curry, I was thinking about the sounds and smells and sights that make me know summer is here in HK.
First are the rains. The smell of rain is wonderful. I love it. And it's been showering a bit lately. Showers are great ... it's the downpours that get a little old. But they are due to arrive any time now. And they last for days and even weeks. But right now, we just have lovely showers, and I quite enjoy it. (Although it's next to impossible to get a taxi in the rain, as I've learned ... they're all already taken by other people trying to stay dry!)
The wetness of course means the bull frogs are out in full force. You walk by a certain spot that is deep in shadow, and wet, and you hear a loud chorus of bull frogs. I remember when I first got here and would always hear them, I couldn't figure out what that sound was. It's like a drawn out groaning, like an old house's floorboards make.
Then there are the flies that come out in droves. These black flies with long wings invade everything and everywhere, then they all die and huge armies of ants come out to carry their bodies back to their homes. It's actually strangely interesting to watch.
And finally, the roaches. Oh, the roaches... I have had showdowns with two roaches in the past 24 hours, and have found three others dead already. I even stepped on one in my bare feet last night in the bathroom. I was half asleep and horrified. But I do have to say, I have come a very long way in my ability to kill them. I used to hate doing it, but now I don't even think about it. I grab the RAID, spray enough on one to kill 20, then smack it with my shoe and flush it down the toilet just in case it's zombie decides to terrorize me. Maz and Kerrie must be so proud of me!
The rains ... the bull frogs ... the flies ... the roaches ... and of course, the inescapable sub-tropical humidity and heat which are pretty much the worst combination of all time. It's Hong Kong summer. I love taking in all these little things, and holding on to them as my mental snapshots.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
the Roaches...sounds horrifying. I bet they crawl on you when you sleep. Mwa-ha-ha! (that's me laughing sinisterly)
Seriously, though, I bet they do.
Sounds like the plagues. I'm glad you don't feel that way about it.
Post a Comment