I have been reflecting on the Easter season, and looking through some verses. This morning I was particularly struck by something that I hadn’t really thought too deeply on before. I am really not supposed to be too overt with talking about Him (though for those who read regularly, you know I fail at this often). So bear with me as I make my point, without being too overt.
The verses I’m referring to are when JC is dying, and Mary and John are there and He tells Mary, “Woman, here is your son” and immediately John takes her as his own mother, and into his home.
I was thinking on what it really means to show love to someone. The Father calls us all to love one another, and many of us try very hard to show love to our fellow man. We show kindness, we help others receive food or shelter. We encourage them. We clean their wounds. We even share the Good News so they will find eternal life.
But how often do we so willingly make them a part of our family? I don’t necessarily mean physically bringing every stray person into your home for Thanksgiving dinner. What I mean is, do you really love them as you love your mother or your brother? Would you care for them, lie awake at night thinking of their well-being, feel deep anguish for their troubles, the way you would if it was your mom or dad in the same situation? I know I don’t.
John immediately takes Mary in as his own. Granted, she wasn’t a total stranger so maybe you can argue that it’s a little different. But still, it’s incredible. It’s an amazing sacrifice, and one (of many) I know I want to learn from.

1 comment:
Did you know that C.S. Lewis had his friends mother live with him until she died because she had no family left and her son died in WW1? C.S and the other man both made a promise to one another during the war to take care of their mothers should one of them die...and one of them did. It's an amazing story
Post a Comment