Monday, October 26, 2009

The Deer Scatterer

On Saturdays, my friend Claire and I usually go running together. Our normal running spot is Woodlawn Lake, but a 5K was being held there so we decided to try somewhere new. Claire lives in the med center, and had told me of this neighborhood nearby where she had gone running before. So at 7 am on Saturday, we parked at the med center track, walked over to Babcock and entered into a magical, enchanted forest called Dreamhill Estates.

It was awesome. Just off a major road like Babcock, you'd think you'd hear street noise. But no, it was blissfully quiet and serene. The place was covered in a canopy of tree branches from the big, leafy trees everywhere, and there was a mixture of quaint and luxurious houses on huge lots along the roads. The best part were all the deer. And not just a few deer, but hordes of deer. Bucks and babies, too. It was great! No one was out yet, and the neighborhood was still a little dark and cozy. Claire and I don't keep together when we run since we keep different paces, so I was on my own for the 45 minute workout (that's right, I ran 4.1 miles!). It wasn't even too hilly, but challenging enough. As I would inevitably come upon a pack of deer hanging out in someone's yard, they would scatter as I approached. I would think, "Don't worry, there's no way I could outrun you!" But I guess they felt they were better safe than sorry.

At one point as I was exploring during the run, I ran along a different street (the loop of the neighborhood was only about a mile, so I looped it a few times). This new street brought me back on to Babcock. I immediately was surrounded by the sounds of cars and people and the smell of exhaust and fumes. I ran a length of Babcock and as soon as I was able, ducked back into the neighborhood and back into the magical land of quiet and beauty and animals.

On the very final leg of my run, I came upon two peacocks. I tried to think if peacocks were native to San Antonio, but regardless, there they were walking along the side of the street I was running on.

I'm definitely going to run there again. It was beautiful, and the cool morning with the sunrise just made it a completely worthwhile location.

No comments: