Thursday, October 29, 2009

Givers Anonymous?

God has done a wonderful thing in that I have a spirit of giving like I never have had before.

The downside is ... I give away all my money! Not that that's a bad thing, but I do need some of it for myself too.

It seems there is a season right now where many people are heading into long and short term mission trips. And every person who asks, I want to immediately write them a check for as much as I can possibly give. But since I want to give to so many, it means I have to spread out the love.

I've never thought much about giving (outside of tithing) but now that I've spent so much of my time living off the faithful support of others, I know how important even a $20 gift is! I also know what a huge blessing such gifts are to those receiving. So I can't help myself - I want to give to everyone!

My priority in giving is supporting friends still in HK, but I also want to support friends here who are heading into missions. I also want to give to every worthy cause I come across, buy food for the food pantry at church, adopt every child on the Angel Tree, send all the Proclaimers out into the world, and anything else I can do. Of course, I'm not financially able to do all those things, but I have a desire and a JOY in giving that I never knew before. I love it! I have finally begun to allow God to free me from the trappings of money.

No comments: