I think I've become a food snob after my time in Hong Kong. I never cooked much before living overseas, but when I was there, I didn't have a choice.
Now that I'm back, I can't bring myself to buy all the ready made meals at the grocery store. Even canned veggies aren't good enough. I like my produce fresh and I'll cut and cook it myself. I won't buy pre-made crust for a quiche (I love quiche) and sometimes I won't even get pre-shredded cheese. My mom almost solely buys everything pre-made. She has her signature dishes that she'll make from scratch, but if she can buy a chicken pre-roasted or potatoes pre-mashed, then she will. Of course, I'll eat what my mom puts in front of me, but inwardly I'm such a snob about it, and know that mashed potatoes made from scratch would have been even better.
I'm definitely the same way about Chinese food. I haven't touched Chinese since I've been b

ack. At first, it was because I just needed a break from Chinese for obvious reasons. But lately I have really been wanting it, but Chinese food here isn't the same. Even at Chinese places that are owned and run by Chinese people ... they still make American-style Chinese, since of course most of their customers are people who are wanting sweet and sour chicken and egg rolls. Did you know in China egg rolls aren't even served? They have spring rolls which are similar, but they're a dim sum dish and only available for dim sum. Also, there's no such thing as hot and sour soup or egg drop soup, and you certainly don't get it as a given with your meal. And everything is served with a huge mountain of steamed rice, never fried rice like you always get here. Those are just the beginnings of how different it is. I'm debating going to a local restaurant owned by a family from HK and seeing if they'll make me a 'real' HK Chinese meal. I just really want a fix of my favorite dishes from there.
Do you ever find yourself being a food snob? Are you like my mom, and you will buy anything pre-made that you can? I never thought twice about it before, but now I always notice it.
No comments:
Post a Comment