Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I love accomplishing goals!

My 5K is on Saturday, so my goal this week was to run four times - once on Sunday on the treadmill with less mileage but at a faster pace, then Tuesday and Thursday to run three miles on each of those days. I had a great, though challenging, workout on the treadmill on Sunday. I felt pumped for the rest of the week. Then yesterday, after work I headed the short distance over to Woodlawn Lake (where I normally go run after work) and set out to do three miles.

I felt really good the first lap around the lake (1.3 miles). Then, the heat started to get to me. It was so HOT with the humidity. Fortunately, I had changed up my running playlist on my ipod to worship music, and was listening to Salvation is Here, Mighty to Save, and some other ones that make me feel excited and get me moving faster (side note: it's hard to find Christian songs to work out to. Kerrie is trying to help me, but it has to have just the right tempo).

By the final .5 mile stretch, I wanted to give in. In my head, the outcome of my runs depends mainly on three things: leg strength, breathing ability, and mental determination. I did a mental check in as I looked at the marker telling me I had .7 left. Legs are being challenged, but the strength is there and they feel fine to finish. Check. My breathing feels good. Again, it's a challenge to run but overall my body is handling it. Check. Then comes my mental determination. Ummm... not a total check. I had to really reset my brain and tell myself, "You can do it!"

When I'd first gotten to the track, I told myslef, "This is gonna be a great run!" And I could visualize in my head that it would go well. But I still have to keep myself focused during, and even after, it's over. That's something to be mindful of in my spiritual walk as well. I have to rely on Him every step of the way, not just pray before and thank Him after. That being said, there was some serious praying to be had on that final half mile. I reached the point where I was at 2.8 miles, and didn't want to go on (since there was a final hill still ahead of me I really wasn't looking forward to).

But as always, God prevailed. He got me through it. I was excited because, as my song said, "Salvation is here!" So I pushed myself through, and finished. And the weird thing is, I had my best time. I looked closer at the stopwatch to be sure. Amazing.

My goal is after this 5K to work up to the Turkey Trot 4-miler. I love accomplishing goals! :)

2 comments:

kerrie said...

:) Here come the water works!

Suzanne said...

Thanks for the encouragement! :)