Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Where does my help come from?

I have been reading my friend Archie's amazing story about how God used him to witness to inmates at the Maverick County Jail over the weekend, at the border of Mexico. And he wasn't just a visitor - he was in the cell with him as he was arrested unexpectedly while crossing back into the US after a mission trip to Piedras Negras for the day distributing medical equipment at an orphanage.

I was reading Archie's story and was thinking what I would do in that situation. Any time I've crossed the border, I always have this fear as I'm coming back into the US that somehow I will get stopped for something. Of course I know I'm innocent, and I don't expect to have any warrants out for my arrest .. but neither did Archie and he still landed in jail for the weekend. He still used that opportunity to share Jesus with his fellow inmates and led two of them Christ (one of which later saved him from being beaten up).

I just wonder what I would have done. I'd like to think I'd be willing to share Jesus with those around me, but I'm afraid I would be too scared of being attacked by fellow prisoners (girls can be just as scary as boys in that kind of situation), and especially I'd be having a panic attack about the whole toilet-in-public situation. But would I be able to overcome those things in order to minister to others? Would I let God take over and let Him use me, and free me from my fears long enough to fearlessly share His love? I hope I would stand the test, and I know it would only come through Christ's strength in me because I certainly couldn't do it otherwise. I guess that's why He sometimes puts us in seemingly impossible situations ... because He wants you to know it is only Him you can rely on. What a good reminder. Thanks, Archie.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Suzanne, if that were ever to happen, call me and I will come bail you out. No questions asked.

Love,
Sara

Suzanne said...

Thanks, Sara! :)