Tonight, I decided to make the simple meal of bacon and eggs. It's quick and easy, and most importantly, I already had the ingredients to make it.
After cooking bacon, I like to put it on a paper towel before eating it, to at least minimize the grease produced when cooking it. I do this all the time.
Well, here in our tiny kitchen, we have a two-burner gas stove. Gas means there is fire. So, I was having trouble getting the bacon out of the pan and onto my waiting paper towel. I still had the burner on because, as soon as I finished the bacon I was going to dump in the scrambled eggs and cook them next. Well, apparently the paper towel got too close to the burner and caught fire. Being the competent, quick thinker I am, I blew on it since my hands were full and it was a tiny flame. Big mistake. Blowing of course made the flame shoot across the paper towel, right to my bare hand.
I dropped the fork in my right hand into the hot pan (where it immediately began to sizzle) and tossed the flaming towel in the nearby sink, along with the bacon, and doused the whole thing with water. My index finger on my left hand was throbbing from the burn, and since we don't have ice, I used a very cold ice cream container to ease the pain in my hand.
The redness has diminished, and I have learned an important lesson: I am a fire hazard. Also, electric stoves are the way to go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Scary. I'm glad you were able to get the fire under control. Every time I drive by your old apartment, I think about my own close call a year and a half ago. Make sure you buy a fire extinguisher. It was one of the first things Travis and I bought for our new house.
Post a Comment