In response to Abbey's question about Halloween traditions in Hong Kong, as well as some other comments from people, I've done a little digging, and it turns out there isn't much to HK Halloween celebrations. However, I have found this to be true throughout the world. No one does Halloween like America. We love it, and jump in with both feet. No other country celebrates the holiday to the extent that we do. I noticed this when I lived in England, and the emphasis early on was always Christmas time, and not Halloween (and obviously not Thanksgiving). Sure, other countries sort of recognize that it is Halloween time, but they don't really do trick or treating or make such a big deal about it like we do.
This of course makes me a little sad to be missing Halloween this year. It's always been a favorite because it is the time of year when the weather changes and grows cooler, and also I have so many happy memories of dressing up, watching movies, eating candy, and other activities.
So, in answer to the "How do they celebrate Halloween in Hong Kong?" question, the answer is they don't. They do, however, have what is called Yue Lan, which is the Festival of the Hungry Ghosts. It is a time when it is believed that spirits roam the world for twenty-four hours. Some people will burn pictures of fruit or money at this time, believing these images would reach the spirit world and bring comfort to the ghosts.
So there you have it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thanks! Very educational. :) I'm really looking forward to our first Halloween at our house. I've already bought candy for the trick-or-treaters.
Post a Comment