Sunday, October 5, 2008

Travel Plans

Maz, Josh and I are in the midst of planning our trip to Bejing next month. It's so hard to know what prices to look for, what locations for lodging, and so many other factors when visiting a foreign city. Maz has been there before, but it's still hard to plan.

I bought train tickets today, and they cost a little more than I was expecting, though still much, much less expensive than flying. Also, as I was informed, the train timetables change at the beginning of November, so I was able to purchase one way tickets to Beijing, but was unable to buy the return tickets, which would have been cheaper to buy together, but they can't sell them since the schedules haven't yet come out. That was a bit frustrating, as I'm not in much position financially to spend extra money, but I am trusting it will work out. As I keep telling myself, it's a rare occasion that I have the time, and am in the proximity (proximity being over a thousand miles away, but at least I'm on the continent), to visit such an amazing, and ancient, place as Beijing, home of the Forbidden City, Tianamen Square, and the Great Wall, among many other things.

I am also trying to figure out accomodations. Staying in a hostel in Europe or America is one thing, but hostelling in Asia can be a bit more dodgy, if for no other reason than you aren't guaranteed Western toilets (Asian toilets, male and female alike, are glorified holes in the ground). So, I have been searching my trusty TripAdvisor.com and think I may have found some affordable options in good locations. Hopefully, this too will work out.

I am counting down the days to the big adventure. I can't wait!

2 comments:

Kyle Burkholder said...

you deserve it. allow your heart to be filled with the wonders that God has seen created. you are a ministry to so many - be ministered to.

thank you for your courage, sacrifice, and willingness to be anonymous hope to so many.

we remember you.

Anonymous said...

here is a question for a quick blog entry. How do they celebrate Halloween in hong kong?