Monday, October 20, 2008

Getting My Visa, or How I Spent 6 Hours Just to Turn In Paperwork

In order to go to China, even for a few days as a tourist, I need a Visa. We leave for China in just under two weeks, so Maz, Josh and I headed to Wan Chai to the China Resources Building today to turn in our Visa applications.

I got there a little before Maz and Josh, and as I turned the corner to the Visa office, I stopped as I saw the incredibly looooong line. Since I didn't have another option and I knew I had to get the Visa, I got myself to the back of the line. Fortunately, I had my iPod so I stuck my earphones in and switched on. The line slowly crawled along, and I could feel sweat trickling down my back in the intense heat. The lady in line next to me was fanning herself, and as I started to fan myself with my Visa application, she dug in her bag and handed me a thin packet she had that I could use as a fan. I was very grateful. I also got stopped by an American lady who asked if I spoke English, and then proceeded to ask me many questions about the Visa process. I'm not sure how much my minimal information helped her, but she seem staisfied.

As we inched along in the line, we eventually came along the side of the building, and since all of us in that part of the line were at that point in direct sunlight, we turned our backs to the sun, and consequently the street and were facing the building. The part of the building we were facing was a long window into a very expensive shop. I don't know how much it helped the store's posh look having a line of hot, sweaty people in the Visa line peering in the window and watching their customers, but oh well.

After an hour outside, I made it into the lobby, quickly got through the security checkpoint, and then up to the 7th floor. I got a number - 536. I looked to see what number they were on ... 402. Not a good sign. The large waiting area was full, so I made my way to the side of the room and sat on the floor, and turned my iPod back on. A while later, Maz and Josh made it in, and we also ran into two other people we knew who were getting their Visas - Ben and Lin. We all sat and chatted for a while, periodically stopping to watch the TVs provided which were showing reruns of the Olympic Games. I also learned just how much the single entry Visa to China would cost. Maz's Visa to China, for an Australian, was about $30 US, but the Visa for Josh and me as Americans was about $130 US!! It says the prices are reciprocal, so we must be charging them an arm and a leg to visit our country, and this is our punishment.

When the counter finally hit 500 about an hour and a half later, we all woke up a little bit. Once the ticker turned to 530, I started to get excited. At 535, I was ready to be called.

536! It was like winning the lottery. The lady after me, 537, was called as well and she said, "Yes!", jumped up and ran forward. We almost high fived each other, but held back.

The actual process took maybe 60 seconds. I had to turn in my paperwork, my passport, and my Hong Kong ID card. They kept my passport, and told me to come back in four days to collect the Visa. So I waited for over three hours, just to turn in my papers.

Then I made it back into what was left of the waning sunlight, and made my way to the bus stop. Fortunately, my bus was there right away, and since Wan Chai is one of its first stops, I was able to get a seat (since it was rush hour the bus would soon fill, but not until the next few stops).

I love driving through the city at night ... all the lights and buildings and vehicles and people. By the time I got home, my entire excursion had been about six hours even though I had anticipated it only being about half that time. Oh well ... at least it's done now and I can make my trip into China.

2 comments:

Kyle Burkholder said...

looooooove this story.

we spent days in the homeland affairs office.

we understand and we remember you.

Anonymous said...

don't know wht, but the big guy seems to show up in the number 5 (37) . ie 37stories